The Tunisian Desert Bivouac Excursion is a quintessential local experience! This two-day and one-night excursion is for those who want to get away from tourist life and embrace local life in the truest sense of the word! During these two days, you will visit a Berber family in their troglodyte house. You will discover these dwellings and enjoy a good rosemary tea with them! You will visit a local market and spend the night in a Bedouin tent in the middle of the desert! It’s not a tourist camp, and there will be no other tourists! No restaurant or sanitary facilities, just a Bedouin experience in the middle of the desert! You will help gather wood for the campfire, assist in preparing dinner over the wood fire, and spend the night under the stars with the Bedouins. What are you waiting for to book your Tunisian Desert Bivouac Excursion and embrace true local life?
About Wild Camping
- Duration: 2 days
- Departure time: 6:30 AM
- Pick-up: Djerba – Zarzis – Tataouine and Gabès (our team picks you up wherever you are)
- Confirmation: immediate
- Guide: Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport: Air-conditioned tourist vehicle
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourism Office
- Cancellation: See our terms and conditions
- Enjoy pick-up at your address in Djerba or Zarzis
- Experience a local adventure and go off the beaten path
- Leave the island of Djerba by ferry and return via the Roman road to discover the two entrances to the island.
- Enjoy a camel ride of about 2 hours in the Sahara dunes.
- Contribute to gathering wood, lighting the fire, and preparing dinner over the wood fire.
- Witness the sunset in a unique setting in the middle of the desert.
- Spent a night under the stars in a Bedouin tent.
- Enjoy a Bedouin evening with the camel drivers.
- Eat organic and savor a dinner prepared over the wood fire.
- Witness a demonstration of sandbread preparation (bread baked under the embers).
- Visit the local market of Douz.
- Visit a Berber family in a troglodyte house and learn more about the Berber tribes.
- Explore the Sidi Idriss Hotel and the world of Star Wars.
- Discover the Berber village of Toujane nestled between two mountains.
Good to Know
- This excursion is based on a minimum of 4 people.
- No on-site sanitary facilities during the night: so please bring your toiletry kit.
- The Tunisian desert bivouac excursion requires authorization from the Tunisian authorities. We will need a copy of your passport.
- For the camel ride, it is advisable to wear pants.
- For desert walking, it is advisable to bring walking shoes.
- Please inform us of any food allergies.
- During winter, nights are cold, so bring warm clothes.
- The tent, mattresses, and blankets are provided by our agency.
- After visiting the locals, we leave a tip for the family, so feel free to bring some pocket money.
Departure for the city of Matmata by ferry, a journey of about 20 minutes.
Arrival in Matmata and visit to a troglodyte house with the locals (We will be welcomed with good Rosemary tea, olive oil, and honey) and have time to visit the various rooms and discover the characteristics of these houses dug into the earth.
Continuation to Douz, the gateway to the desert, and free time to visit the market and enjoy a good lunch.
After lunch, we will head to the sandy village of Sabria, considered the most important desert gateway and the starting point for the largest number of hat walks.
Upon arrival, you will leave the 4×4 to ride a camel for about 2 hours to the campsite where the Bedouin tent will already be set up.
Help the camel drivers find wood, light the campfire, and prepare dinner. Learn how to prepare sand bread (bread prepared under the embers). Experience these unique moments of Berber life, but don’t forget to enjoy that magical view and the unique moment when the sun sets shyly behind the sand dunes!
In the evening, after dinner, you’ll spend the evening listening to them sing Bedouin music and dance under a starry sky.
Night under the open sky in a tent.
You will be awakened with the first rays of sunshine caressing your faces. Enjoy breakfast on the dunes and hot sandbread (bread baked under the sand and embers). After breakfast, say goodbye to the camel drivers and get into the 4×4. Departure to Douz and the possibility of a quad ride in the sand dunes (extra). Continue to the town of Matmata and visit the sets of the movie Star Wars.
Lunch in a typical underground restaurant.
After lunch, we will visit the famous Berber village of Toujane, where you will enjoy about a 1-hour hike with a local guide. Visit the village, discover its houses, and learn more about the floods of 1969. Explore the oil mill and water point, then return to Djerba via the Roman road.
Wild Bivouac in Pictures
175 euros per person
This rate is based on at least 4 participants. Other people may join you.