Tataouine, Matmata, and the Star Wars sites
The Tataouine Matmata and Star Wars sites excursion is an adventure, a journey through time, and a unique experience that allows you to discover the breathtaking landscapes of Tunisia, as well as the filming locations of Star Wars, while immersing yourself in the local culture.
Explore desert landscapes, troglodyte houses, and lush oases that were used to recreate distant planets in Star Wars films.
Walk in the footsteps of George Lucas. Visit the city of Tataouine with its ksours and Berber villages, and the troglodyte village of Matmata with its famous underground dwellings.
You will have the chance to discover the desert landscapes that were used to recreate planets like Tatooine, Geonosis, and Jedha, as well as Star Wars filming sites such as the Berber village of Ksar Hadada, which was used for the pod racing scene in “The Phantom Menace,” or Sidi Driss, which served as a backdrop for several scenes at the Lars homestead.
In addition to visiting Star Wars filming locations, you will also have the opportunity to explore the local culture of the region by visiting traditional souks, tasting local dishes, and meeting welcoming locals.
About the trip
- Duration : 1 day
- Departure time : 6h00 am
- Support : Djerba and Zarzis (our team picks you up where you are)
- Confirmation : immediate
- Guide : Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type de transport : Air-conditioned 4 * 4
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation: See our terms and conditions
- Enjoy pick-up from your address in Djerba or Zarzis
- Discover Tataouine, its Ksours and its Berber villages.
- Explore the cave village of Matmata
- Discover the filming locations of Star Wars
- Walk in the footsteps of George Lucas
- Explore local life, visit a Berber family, and enjoy tea at a local’s home.
- Visit the Troglodyte Sidi Idriss Hotel and see the Star Wars sets
- Enjoy panoramic views of the Berber village of Toujane
Good to know
- Don’t forget to bring your sunscreen, sunglasses, swimsuit and towel.
- It’s best to wear sneakers to walk in the sand
- Tunisian cuisine is quite spicy, if you don’t eat spicy please let us know.
- If you have food allergies please let us know
- Do not hesitate to take pocket money if you want to buy some souvenirs (sand roses, a cheche or others) or give tips
- The price of drinks on site and about 3 dinars a drink (about 1 euro)
The Tataouine and Matmata excursion, including the Star Wars sites, is a unique experience to discover Berber culture, troglodyte architecture, and the history of Star Wars filming. It’s an opportunity to travel back in time to the land of the Berbers and caravans.
You will leave the tourist spots to explore new landscapes, discover the hidden treasures of this southern Tunisian region, and immerse yourself in the local life of the Berbers.
Your day will start early in the morning with a departure from Djerba via the Roman Road. Your first stop along the way will be at the Chahbania Salt Lake for a photo stop before continuing to the city of Tataouine. This city, from which George Lucas drew the name Tatooine, is renowned for serving as a backdrop for one of the Star Wars episodes (A New Hope, 1976) and giving its name to the planet Tatooine in the series. Here, you will have the opportunity to stroll through the market and practice negotiating with the merchants.
Next, continue to Ksar Ouled Soltane, a well-preserved fortified granary built by the Berbers in the 15th century. It served as the setting for Mos Espa in Episode I in August 1997 for the slave quarters.
Afterward, continue your journey to the Berber village of Chenini and discover its various structures, such as its oil mill, granaries, mosque, houses carved into the mountains, panoramic views overlooking the village, and much more.
Continue your adventure to Ksar Hadada, also used as a backdrop for Star Wars filming (some scenes from Episode I: The Phantom Menace were filmed there). Explore the streets of the ksar and imagine the film scenes before enjoying a delicious traditional lunch at Ksar Jouamaa.
Take the opportunity to visit this magnificent 17th-century granary and its beautiful ghorfas (rooms) beautifully restored.
After lunch, head to Matmata through wonderful lunar landscapes.
Upon arrival in Matmata, visit the Sidi Driss hotel, which includes 5 interior courtyards: four surrounded by rooms, and the fifth, named the “Star Wars courtyard,” served as the set for the Lars’ dining room and kitchen. You will have the opportunity to see the troglodyte rooms that were used in the film.
After that, visit a Berber family to discover a typical troglodyte house and share a moment of conviviality with the local residents. They will likely offer you a good mint tea or even a traditional dish.
On the way back, stop at the Berber village of Toujane, an authentic Berber village where you can discover local traditions, costumes, and typical jewelry. Then return to Djerba enriched and amazed by the treasures of this southern region of Tunisia.
Tataouine, Matmata, and the Star Wars sites in pictures
100 euros per persone
This rate is based on at least 4 people. Other people may join you.