Matmata Douz full day desert excursion
The Matmata Douz excursion, as indicated in the title, consists of visiting the troglodyte village of Matmata with its troglodyte houses and Berber villages and discovering Douz, the gateway to the desert where you can have a ride on a quad or on a camel in the big dunes of the Sahara.
Matmata Douz desert trip is, in fact, an initiation to the discovery of the desert and of local life intended for those who cannot spend more than a day of discovery.
About the Matmata Douz excursion
- Duration : 1 day
- Départure time : 7h00 am
- Support : Djerba and Zarzis (our team picks you up where you are)
- Confirmation : immediate
- Guide : Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport : air-conditioned 4*4
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation : See our terms and conditions
- Take advantage of pick-up at your address in Djerba or Zarzis
- Cross the stony tracks and discover the Tunisian Reg in 4 * 4
- Go on an excursion to the desert and discover Douz the door of the desert
- Enjoy a camel ride or quad ride in the middle of the desert
- Walk in the sand dunes that stretch as far as the eye can see
- Go off the beaten track and discover nomadic life
- Explore local life and eat Tunisian
- Discover the famous troglodyte village of Matmata and visit a troglodyte dwelling
- Discover Sidi Idriss the location of some Star Wars scenes
- Visit the Berber villages of Tamazret and Toujane
Good to know
- Don’t forget to bring your cream and your sunglasses.
- It’s best to wear sneakers to walk in the sand
- Tunisian cuisine is quite spicy, if you don’t eat spicy please let us know.
- If you have food allergies please let us know
- The camel ride in the dunes lasts 1 hour and costs around 10 euros per person
- The quad ride lasts around 40 minutes and costs around 30 euros per person.
- Do not hesitate to take pocket money if you want to buy some souvenirs (sand roses, a chèche or others) or give tips
- The price of drinks on site and around 3 dinars a drink (about 1 euro)
07h00 : Departure in the morning by ferry (a ferry that carries up to 30 cars).
09h45 : A little photo stop in the Berber village of Tamezret.
10h05 : Continuation towards Douz the desert gate
11h05 : Visit of the sandy village inhabited by the M’razigs (authentic camel breeders). Possibility of camel ride (optional and payable locally 10 euros).
13h00 : Lunch in a typical local restaurant in the city center.
14h00 : Departure to Matmata, the troglodyte village, visit of the setting for the filming of the film “STAR WARS”
16h00 : Departure to the small village Toujane, through the DAHAR mountains.
16h30 : Arrival and photo break with a little explanation.
17h45 : Return to Djerba via the 7 km long Roman road that links Djerba to the mainland.
19h00 : Arrival at the first hotel.
Matmata Douz in Pictures
90 euros per person
This rate is based on at least 4 participants. Other people may join you.