Half-day island tour
The Half-day island tour of Djerba is an introduction to the discovery of the island of Djerba, its surroundings and its most beautiful sites to visit!
Between the Roman road, Guellela the pottery village, the old synagogue, Djerba Hood and Houmt Souk the capital of the island, you will learn a lot about local life and the traditions of the inhabitants of the island.
Discovery of the Djerbian way of life and visit of a menzel, departure in the morning, from your hotel, in a privatized 4X4 towards the heart of the island of Djerba. After two kilometers of track, a menzel nestled between palm groves and olive groves appears. This is where you will discover another image of Djerba: architecture, agriculture, traditions and Djerbian life.
You will then take the road to Guellala, the largest Berber city on the island, known for its artisanal pottery workshops. You will be welcomed in an artisanal pottery workshop, to attend a demonstration of the work of clay. On the way back, you will make a final stop to visit La Ghriba, one of the oldest synagogues in the world, built by Jews fleeing the destruction of Solomon’s temple, and coming to seek refuge in Djerba.
The Half-day tour of the island in Djerba is an introduction to the discovery of the island of Djerba, its surroundings and its most beautiful sites to visit! Between the Roman road, Guellela the pottery village, the old synagogue, Djerba Hood and Houmt Souk the capital of the island, you will learn a lot about local life and the traditions of the inhabitants of the island.
With ancient Roman architecture, whitewashed Berber villages and a capital steeped in history, you’ll find there’s more to Djerba than sand and sun. The starry towers include the old causeway, Guellala and Houmt-Souk.
First, a view of the archaeological site of Meninx, the first town built on the island, en route to an ancient Roman causeway – a low rock bridge that dates back 2,000 years. Next, head to Guellala, where you will have free time to explore this famous pottery center and shop for earthenware pots and bowls in the souk.
About the half-day Island tour
- Duration : Half a day
- Departure Time : 8h30 a.m
- Pick up : Island of Djerba (our team picks you up wherever you are in Djerba)
- Confirmation : immediate
- Guide : Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport : Air-conditioned tourist vehicle
- This Tour is approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation : See Terms and Conditions
- Stop at the Roman road and discover more about the old caravan route
- Visit Guellela the pottery village and watch a demonstration at a local workshop.
- Visit the Guellela Traditional Heritage Museum
- Discover the oldest Jewish synagogue in North Africa.
- Stroll through the artistic alleys of Djerba Hood.
- Visit Houmt Souk the capital of the island and take time for your shopping.
Good to know
- It is best to wear sneakers for walking
- At the Guellela museum there are photo fees.
- In pottery shops or at the market there are rarely prices displayed, you have to negotiate well when purchasing.
- The half-day island tour in pictures
Departing from your hotel, set off on an island tour to Djerba to discover its most famous monuments. At 8:30 am, our team will pick you up where you are in Djerba or Zarzis to accompany you to discover the island in half a day!
Your excursion to discover the island will begin with a stop at the Roman causeway: the bridge that connects the island to the mainland! Then you will head to Guellela, the pottery village par excellence where you will meet at a local workshop to attend a demonstration.
Take the time to visit the traditional heritage museum of Guellela and learn more about the customs of Djerba: weddings, economy, costumes and much more before heading to the Ghriba! It is the oldest Jewish synagogue in North Africa.
Continue to Djerba Hood and take the time to stroll through its alleys and admire the work left on the walls by more than 100 artists.
The end of the discovery of the island will be in Houmt Souk, the capital and the beating heart of Djerba. With your guide, visit the famous caravanserais, discover the market and take time for your shopping before returning to your hotel.
The Half-day island tour in pictures
40 euros per person