A day in Ksar Ghilane
In fact This excursion is a trip back in time. From Djerba the touristic town towards the desert gate.
During this unusual adventure, you will cross the stony tracks of the Tunisian Reg, you will stop on the Jeffara plain to admire a panoramic view and you will discover the famous oasis of Ksar Ghilane. Once there, you will have time to bathe in the natural hot spring nestled in the heart of a grove. You will admire the ocher color of the sand dunes which embrace the greenery of the palm trees and you will have the opportunity to enjoy a quad or camel ride in the middle of the desert !
During this desert excursion, you will have the opportunity to dive into the heart of local life, to meet the edouins, herds of dromedaries in the savage state but above all to taste a good tupically Tunisian meal !
About A day in Ksar Ghilane
- Duration : 1 day
- Departure time : 6h30 am
- Support : Island of Djerba and Zarzis (our team picks you up where you are)
- Confirmation : immediate
- Guide : Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport : 4*4 air-conditioned
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation: See our terms and conditions
- Take advantage of your address pickup in Djerba or Zarzis
- Cross the stony tracks and discover the Tunisian Reg in 4*4
- Go on an excursion to the desert and discover the oasis of Ksar Ghilane
- Bathe in a natural hot spring in the heart of the desert
- Enjoy a camel ride or quad ride in the desert
- Walk in the sand dunes that stretch as far as the eye can see
- Go off the beaten track and discover nomadic life
- Explore local life and eat Tunisian
- Discover the famous Ksar Hallouf and enjoy the panoramic view it offers
Good to know
- Remember to bring your sunscreen, sunglasses, swimsuit and towel.
- It’s best to wear sneakers to walk in the sand
- Tunisian cuisine is quite spicy, if you don’t eat spicy please let us know.
- If you have food allergies please let us know
- The camel ride in the dunes lasts 1 hour and costs around 10 euros per person
- The quad ride lasts around 40 minutes and costs around 30 euros per person.
- Do not hesitate to take pocket money if you want to buy some souvenirs (sand roses, a cheche or others) or give tips
- The price of drinks on site and around 3 dinars a drink (about 1 euro)
At 6.30 am, our team will pick you up where you are in Djerba or Zarzis to accompany you on an adventure in the Tunisian desert.
Leave the island by the Roman road and head for the mainland. In a café, between olive groves, you will have a breifing during which your guide will explain the detailed program of your desert excursion from Djerba to Ksar Ghilane and show you your route on the map.
Then head to Ain El Amba, a mountain from where you will have a panoramic view of the Jeffara plain! Take the opportunity to take photos.
15 minutes later, you will attack the stony tracks of the Tunisian Reg. Take advantage of this sudden change of scenery and these thrills in 4 * 4!
In the middle of nowhere, you will have a small photo stop, there I recommend you listen to the silence. It is truly unique, and with a stroke of luck you will come across a Bedouin with a herd of goats, sheep or dromedaries !
Around 11am, you will have arrived at the oasis of Ksar Ghilane … A unique place where the greenery of the palm grove embraces the color of the dunes … Your guide will show you where to change and it is time to enjoy a swim in the natural hot spring! This source is also used for the irrigation of palm groves around !
A few meters away, you will have quads and dromedaries, so do not hesitate to book your ride to cross the dunes and go to the fort of Tisavar (the activities are optional and to be paid locally with local providers).
Around 1 p.m., you will have an appointment for a midday meal … Take advantage of tasting good Tunisian cuisine in a typical setting! The menu consists of a starter, a suite and a dessert (usually it is a soup – a Tunisian couscous and seasonal fruit).
Take the time to take photos and then take the road to Djerba via the famous Ksar Hallouf. It is a collective granary which was used to store the harvest of the tribes of the Tunisian south east and it includes several Ghorfas. Discover this unique architecture and enjoy the panoramic view it offers of the palm groves around.
Around 4:30 p.m., you will return to Djerba with a head full of beautiful memories.
A day in Ksar Ghilane in pictures
80 euros per person
This rate is based on at least 4 people. Other people may join you.