Tozeur and the mountain oases trip
Tozeur and the mountain oases trip is a unique experience to discover a large part of southern Tunisia. During this excursion you will visit Tozeur the cities of palm groves, you will cross the Djerid chott, considered as the largest salt lake in the North of Africa and you will explore the mountain oases! You will stroll to Chebika to admire its oasis and its waterfall which gushes from the side of the mountain then you will discover the Tamerza waterfall and the big canyons of Midès. You will cross the old Dakar Rally track and you will discover the Mos Espa village of Star Wars! You will have the possibility of strolling on the back of a dromedary in the middle of the desert in Douz and you will visit a troglodyte house homestay in Matmata !
About Tozeur and the mountain oases trip :
- Duration : 2 days
- Departure time : 6:00 am
- Support : Island of Djerba and Zarzis (our team picks you up wherever you are)
- Confirmation : immediate
- Guide : Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport : air-conditioned vehicle
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation: free up to 48 hours before the date of the excursion
- Take advantage of your address pickup in Djerba or Zarzis
- Enjoy a trip to tozeur and the mountains oases
- Visit a troglodyte house with locals in Matmata
- Take a ride on a camel or quad in the Douz desert.
- Cross Chott Djerid, the largest salt lake in the north of Africa.
- Visit the palm groves of Tozeur and discover its old medina.
- Visit the Berber village of Chebika and admire its waterfall.
- Discover the great waterfall of Tamerza and the great canyons of Mides
- Cross the old Dakar Rally track in 4 * 4 and live a 100% adrenaline experience.
- Conquer the sand dunes towards Ong Jmal and Mos Espa
- Enjoy a good tea and admire the basket of Nefta
- Visit a cave house
- Visit the Troglodyte Sidi Idriss hotel and discover the decorations of Star Wars
- Enjoy a panoramic view overlooking the Berber village of Toujane
Day 1 :
In the morning, our team will pick you up at your accommodation to take you on an excursion to discover Tozeur and its mountain oases. You leave the island via the ferry (Ferry).
A first stop in a cafe will be intended for the explanation of the program by your guide then you will continue towards the village of Matmata.
Arrival in Matmata, visit of a cave house with a Berber family.
Continuation to Douz, visit of the souk and possibility of trekking on the back of a camel through the sand dunes (optional and payable locally 10 euros per person).
Crossing of Chott El Djérid (large salt lake famous for its mirages and color effects) with a photo stop.
Then continue to Tamerza where you will enjoy a good meal at the inhabitant.
Take the time to visit the mountain aosis and discover Chebika and its waterfall, Tamerza and its large waterfall and Midès and its large canyons.
At the end of the afternoon, your driver will take you on a 100% adrenaline adventure. You will cross the old Dakar Rally track and the salt lake chott El Gharsa to stop at the fem site of Ong Jmal.
Conquer the large sand dunes to finally land at Mos Espa, the site considered to be the greatest setting for Star Wars in Tunisia. Take the time to discover and, above all, do not miss the sunset over the dunes around.
The last visit of the day will be devoted to the basket of Nefta which you will admire around a good mint tea.
Return to the hotel, installation, dinner and overnight.
Day 2 :
In the morning, when you wake up, enjoy a good breakfast then set off to explore the old medina of Tozeur.
Unique with its architecture and its local bricks, take the time to visit and get lost in the labyrinth alleys while listening to the explanations of your guide.
Head to Tamazret, a Berber village and then to Matmata where you will have a homestay visit. In a troglodyte house dug underground, your host will be happy to serve you a good rosemary tea, accompanied by honey and olive oil.
Take the time to visit the house, to admire its unique architecture, its simplicity and the modesy of its inhabitants.
Then head to Sidi Idriss, the place to shoot some scenes from the famous Star Wars Saga before taking the time to have lunch.
After the meal, head to Toujane, an ocher-colored Berber village, nestled between two mountains. Admire the panoramic view, then visit the village up close. This village is famous for making Berber carpets and honey.
Take the road back to the island of Djerba with your head full of good memories
Good to know :
- Remember to bring your sunscreen, sunglasses, swimsuit and towel.
- It’s best to wear sneakers to walk in the sand
- Tunisian cuisine is quite spicy, if you don’t eat spicy please let us know.
- If you have food allergies please let us know
- The camel ride in the dunes lasts 1 hour and costs around 10 euros per person
- The quad ride lasts around 40 minutes and costs around 30 euros per person.
- Do not hesitate to take pocket money if you want to buy some souvenirs (sand roses, a cheche or others) or give tips
- Don’t hesitate to tip the family you visit in Matmata
- The price of drinks on site and around 3 dinars a drink (about 1 euro)
The price includes
- Provision of a private vehicle for 2 days
- + The services of a guide approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office for 2 days
- The services of a driver approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office for 2 days
- + Lunch on the 1st and 2nd day
- Accommodation in a 4 * hotel in Tozeur
- + Our assistance during the excursion
- – Drinks and personal expenses
- -Optional walks carried out on site
- – Tips