The Grand Tour of Tunisia : North South Tour
Description of the tour :
The North-South Tunisia tour is a great tour to discover the country, its landscapes and its riches. This circuit will start in Tunis, the capital to discover its monuments and its heritage.
It is a journey back in time between the Punics, the Romans, the Arab-Muslims arriving at the Bedouins who move in the desert of the great Erg Oriental !
During this Tunisia north-south tour of several days, you will dive deep into local life, you will eat at the inhabitant in a troglodyte house, you will discover Berber villages and you will spend a night under tent under the stars in the desert!
Combine cultural visits with discovery, luxury with authenticity and make your tour in Tunisia an unforgettable experience !
About the North-south Tunisia Tour:
- Duration : 10 days
- Departure time : 8h30 am
- Support : All of Tunisia (our team picks you up where you are)
- Confirmation : immediate
- Guide : Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport : Air-conditioned vehicle
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation: free up to 7 days before the date of the tour
- Take advantage of pick-up at your address where you are in Tunisia.
- Discover Tunisia from north to south.
- Discover the most beautiful monuments and archaeological sites in Tunisia including those listed as World Heritage by UNESCO.
- Discover Kairouan, the holy city and visit its large mosque.
- Explore the ruins of Dougga and discover the Roman heritage in Tunisia.
- Visit Tozeur and hike in its mountain oases.
- Take a quad or camel ride in the dunes.
- Spend a night in a tent in the middle of the desert.
- Discover Tataouine, its ksours and its Berber villages and spend a night in a cottage.
- Discover the 3 existing deserts in Tunisia “the Chotts” the “Reg” and “the Erg”.
- Visit the island of Djerba and bask in the most beautiful beaches of the island.
Day 1: Welcome to Tunis
Arrival, reception at the airport by our representative and transfer to your hotel. Free day and possibility of free stroll.Accommodation: 4 * Hotel
Day 2: The discovery of Tunis
This day will be dedicated to visiting Tunis, its surroundings and its essential sites! The day’s tours will be as follows :
- The medina of Tunis : This medina listed as World Heritage by UNESCO represents the economic and religious heart of the city. Take advantage of losing yourself in the charm of its architecture, its labyrinth lanes and its most interesting monuments !
- The Bardo Museum : This museum is considered to be the richest with regard to the collection of Roman mosaics! Take the time to visit and admire its masterpieces that exceed 100! Admire Virgile and the two muses or the Ecclecia mater.
- The archaeological site of Carthage : This archaeological site summarizes the power of the Roman Empire which was beaten on the Punic ruins … Visit the wonderful hill of Byrsa and learn more about the dwelling of Hannibal Barca, discover the Punic sanctuary and stroll in the thermal baths of Antonin! Take the time to visit the different components of this city with the explanations of your guide.
- The village of Sidi Bousaid : Take the time to stroll through the alleys of Sidi Bousaid, this artistic village which overlooks the bay of Tunis. Taste the wonderful Bambaloni with sugar and do not miss a good tea at the café des délices. This coffee, which with its beauty and the view it offers, inspired Patrick Bruel to attribute the draw to his song !
Total route: 9 km / 30 min.
Accommodation: 4 * Hotel (Tunis)
Day 3: The ruins of Dougga !
Leave Tunis and head to the north west of the country! Stop in Testour, this Andalusian city par excellence. Take the time to admire its architecture and visit the unique mosque !
This mosque, has for particularity, its seams and its figures which turn to the envy! Taste a good cheese then continue to Dougga. Take the time to taste a good wild boar before starting the discovery!
In the afternoon, take the time to visit the famous ruins of Dougga. This UNESCO heritage site is the most majestic archaeological site in Tunisia and the best preserved in the Maghreb. Its ruins are located on a hill, 600 m above sea level and spread over 25 ha, in a fertile area, in northern Tunisia.
To visit: Testour – Dougga
Accommodation: Hôtel Thugga (Teboursouk)
Day 4: Kairouan the Holy City
After breakfast, head to Kairouan, the city, both Aghlabid and Arab-Muslim !
Take the time to discover all of its monuments !
Visit the Aghlabid basins considered to be the most important hydraulic works in the history of the Muslim world.
Then take the time to discover the great mosque of Kairouan.
This mosque was erected in 670, which corresponds to the year 50 AH, the Muslim calendar. It was built by the Arab conqueror Oqba Ibn Nafi.
Take the time to stroll through the alleys of its old medina, taste its succulent local pastry called “Les Makroudhs” and take the time to visit its unique carpet weaving workshops !
To visit: The Aghlabid basins – The great mosque – The medina of Kairouan
Accommodation: 5 * Kasbah Hotel or similar
Day 5: Tozeur and its old medina
After a good breakfast, head to the South of Tunisia! Today is when the landscapes begin to change, the climate becomes drier and the atmosphere heats up.
At lunch you will have a good barbecue on the way.
On arrival, take the time to discover the old medina of Tozeur. Unique by its architecture and its narrow lane, this medina hides a history and a beauty that are worth at least an hour’s walk.
In the afternoon, explore nature … on foot or by horse-drawn carriage, discover its marvelous palm grove! Admire the multi-storey farming, stroll between the date palms and pomegranates and visit the typical brickyards of the region.
Visits: Gafsa – Tozeur
Accommodation: Hotel 4*
Day 6: The mountain oases
During this day you will go on an adventure in the mountain oases of the region. Stop at Chebika and hike with a local guide between its ancient village and its source of water that gushes from the mountain. Continue to Tamerza and discover its large waterfall then to Mides to discover its large canyons before enjoying a good, purely Tunisian midday meal in the heart of a typical homestay restaurant.
The afternoon will be an adventure in the truest sense of the word. Fasten your belts and prepare to digest. In 4 * 4, you will cross the old Dakar Rally track through the famous Chott El Gharsa. Stop at the site of Ong Jmal, admire its landscapes, cross the large hills and set off to conquer the sand dunes before landing in the village of Mos Espa considered the largest site for Star Wars scenery in Tunisia.
Take the time to watch the sunset over the dunes … Admire the sun setting behind the dunes then continue for a last photo break in the basket of Nefta before returning to your hotel.
Visits: Chebika – Tamerza – Mides – Ong Jmal – Mos Espa – Basket of Nefta
Accommodation: 4 * hotel in Tozeur
Day 7: The hot spring and overnight in tents
Head further south and discover more of the charm of the Tunisian desert. Cross Chott Djerid, the largest salt lake in northern Africa to the city of Douz. On site, visit the local market, ride a quad or camel ride in the dunes and enjoy a good couscous.
Then attack the road and the stony tracks towards the oasis of Ksar Ghilane! With a little luck you will meet the Bedouins with their herds of dromedaries or a Fenec crossing the road quickly. When you arrive, take the time to bathe in the hot spring nestled in the heart of this oasis. Admire the greenery of the palm trees which embraces the ocher color of the dunes.
Continue to your campsite, settle in a tent and don’t miss the moment when the sun timidly sets on the horizon.
Before dinner, watch the making of the sand bread, this crisp bread prepared under the coals !
Visits: Chott Djerid – Douz – Ksar Ghilane
Accommodation: Camp under tent
Day 8: Ksours and Berber villages
Try to wake up early and watch the sunrise, then enjoy a good breakfast in front of the dunes that stretch as far as the eye can see. Then attack the tracks and go off the beaten track. Stop in the middle of nowhere every time a landscape catches your eye as far as Guermessa. Hike with your guide in this magnificent Berber village which dominates the mountain.
Take the time to visit all the components. Visit the mosque, the attics and admire the panoramic view it offers.
Continue to Chenini, the Berber village still inhabited, which you will visit with a local guide before enjoying a good local lunch.
After the meal, always with your local guide, take a trek of about 4 hours to Douiret.
Cross the oases, the fields of olive trees and the mountain. Meet the flocks of sheep, cross the shepherds and learn more about the herbs.
Arrival in Douiret, dinner and overnight in a gite
Visits: Guermessa – Chenini – Douiret
Accommodation: Douiret cottage
Day 9: The island of dreams
Head towards the island of Djerba by crossing the famous salt lake of Chahbania.
Cross the Roman road and head towards Guellela, the quintessential pottery village.
Take the time to visit the museum of traditional heritage and learn more about the traditions of Djerba.
Visit a local pottery maker and watch a demonstration, then visit the oldest Jewish synagogue in North Africa.
At Djerba Hood, take the time to walk through its narrow streets and admire the works of art on the walls.
Head to your hotel and enjoy a good lunch and the rest of the day resting by the beach.
Visits: Chott Chahbania – Guellela – The synagogue – Djerba Hood
Accommodation: 4 * hotel in Djerba
Day 10: Rest or activity, the choice is yours !
A free day on the island of dreams can be lived according to your choice … Or rest, laze by the beach and lazy or otherwise take advantage of the activities available on site and which you can discover HERE.
The prices below correspond to the proposal in the circuit. This rate may change depending on our email exchanges and the modifications you wish to make to the program. We are there to personalize the circuits according to your desires !
This price includes
- Reception and airport transfers
- Accommodation in a double room in a hotel, guest house or camp depending on the program
- Full board during the whole tour (except in Tunis)
- Accommodation with breakfast in Tunis
- The provision of a private vehicle during the entire circuit
- The services of a guide approved by the Tourist Office
- The services of a driver approved by the Tourist Office
- Our 24 hour assistance
This rate does not include
- Cancellation and repatriation insurance
- Drinks and personal expenses
- Optional activities and walks
- Entrances to archaeological sites and museums
- The bins for guides and drivers