A night under a tent in the desert
A night under a tent in the desert excursion from Djerba is not only a tour, it is an adventure and a journey through time …. You leave the tourist places to attack the desert, the spirit of the caravans and dive into the local life.
During this adventure, you will discover Tataouine, with these ksours and its Berber villages! You will explore the sand dunes of Ksar Ghilane which extend as far as the eye can see and you will bathe in a natural hot spring nestled in the heart of the oasis where the greenery of the plamiers embraces the ocher color of the sand! You will witness a unique sunset over the dunes and you will sleep in a tent in the middle of the desert! You will visit a cave dwelling and you will get a closer look at the local life of the inhabitants of Matmata, you will even taste a good rosemary tea prepared by your host.
You will walk in Sidi Idriss in the footsteps of George Lucas and Star Wars and you will follow in the footsteps of a local guide in the middle of the Berber village.
The Ksar Ghilane 2 days trip from Djerba is actually more than an excursion! It is a unique experience that each of you must try at least once.
About the night under a tent in the desert :
- Duration : 2 days
- Departure time : 7h30 am
- Support : Island of Djerba and Zarzis (our team picks you up wherever you are)
- Confirmation : immediate
- Guide : Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport : air-conditioned tourist vehicle
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation: free up to 48 hours before the date of the excursion
- Take advantage of your address pickup in Djerba or Zarzis
- Discover the 3 types of desert in Tunisia: Chott, Reg and Erg
- Discover Tataouine, its Ksours and its Berber villages.
- Explore the village of Chenini with a local guide and discover the granaries, the houses dug in the mountain and the mosque.
- Bathe in a natural hot spring in the heart of the desert
- Enjoy a camel ride or quad ride in the desert
- Walk in the sand dunes which extend as far as the eye can see and discover the 3rd type of desert “Erg” or the desert of dunes.
- Go off the beaten track and discover nomadic life
- Watch the sunset over the dunes in the middle of the desert
- Spend a night under a tent in the middle of the desert
- Explore local life, visit a Berber family and enjoy a tea with the locals.
- Visit the Troglodyte Sidi Idriss hotel and discover the decorations of Star Wars
Enjoy a panoramic view overlooking the Berber village of Toujane
At 7:30 am, our team will pick you up from your hotel to take you on an adventure! Leave the island via the Roman road, the bridge that connects the island to the mainland, cross the fields of olive trees that stretch as far as the eye can see and head towards Tataouine.
On the way, by the side of the road, take the time to take photos and discover the first type of deserts in Tunisia “Le Chott” or the salt desert (a salt lake). Continue to Tataouine and take the time to stroll around the local market. I recommend that you taste the famous gazelle horns! A local pastry made with honey and peanuts.
Then head to Chenini, one of the most beautiful Berber villages in Tunisia that you will discover with a local guide. This gentleman will be happy to accompany you for about 1 hour to discover the different components of the village! You will visit the houses dug in the walls of the mountain, the granaries and even the mosque which dominates it! You will learn a lot about these Berber tribes and their traditions. At the end of the visit do not hesitate to thank your guide with a ticket, that’s what these young people live on.
After 1 hour of walking, you will be rewarded with a good local meal! And yes, a couscous accompanied by a soup, an egg brick and a dessert.
Around 2 p.m., we will take the road again for about 1h30 during which you will cross the second type of desert “the Reg” or the rock desert! You will come across tribes of sheep, goats and even dromedaries in their wild state.
On site at the oasis, take the time to bathe in the hot spring and admire this unique landscape where the greenery of palm trees embraces the ocher color of the fine sand dunes stretched as far as the eye can see.
You will also have the possibility of taking a camel ride or quad ride in the middle of the desert! These are optional activities and payable locally with local providers.
In the early afternoon, head to your campsite to settle in and do not miss the moment when the sun timidly sets behind the dunes.
Around 7 p.m., you will have an appointment to attend a demonstration of the preparation of the famous sand bread (bread prepared under the sand and embers) after which you will enjoy a good Tunisian meal.
Take advantage of your evening afterwards to admire the clear, starry sky where the Milky Way seems close at hand then spend a night under a tent in the desert.
Day 2 :
In the morning, when you wake up, enjoy a good breakfast overlooking the dunes then fasten your belts for the second part of the adventure!
Head to Tamazret, a Berber village and then to Matmata where you will have a homestay visit. In a cave house dug underground, your host will be happy to serve you a good rosemary tea, accompanied by honey and olive oil.
Take the time to visit the house, to admire its unique architecture, its simplicity and the modesy of its inhabitants!
Then head to Sidi Idriss, the place to shoot some scenes from the famous Star Wars Saga before taking the time to have lunch!
After the meal, head to Toujane, an ocher-colored Berber village, nestled between two mountains. Admire the panoramic view, then visit the village up close. This village is famous for making Berber carpets and honey!
Take the road back to the island of Djerba with your head full of good memories!
Good to know :
- Remember to bring your sunscreen, sunglasses, swimsuit and towel.
- It’s best to wear sneakers to walk in the sand
- Tunisian cuisine is quite spicy, if you don’t eat spicy please let us know.
- If you have food allergies please let us know
- The camel ride in the dunes lasts 1 hour and costs around 10 euros per person
- The quad ride lasts around 40 minutes and costs around 30 euros per person.
- Do not hesitate to take pocket money if you want to buy some souvenirs (sand roses, a cheche or others) or give tips
- Don’t hesitate to tip the local guide in Chenini and the family you visit in Matmata
The price of drinks on site and around 3 dinars a drink (about 1 euro)
The price includes
- + Provision of a private vehicle for 2 days
- + The services of a guide approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office for 2 days
- + The services of a driver approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office for 2 days
- + Lunch on the 1st and 2nd day
- + Accommodation in a tent in a camp in the middle of the desert
- + Our assistance during the excursion
- – Drinks and personal expenses
- – Optional walks carried out on site
- – Tips