5-day Star Wars Tour in Tunisia
Description of the 5-day star wars tour in Tunisia:
The 5-day Star wars tour in Tunisia is the ideal experience for the Saga lovers to travel in the footsteps of Georges Lucas and Skywalker in the south of Tunisia!
Between the island of Djerba, Tataouine Matmata and Tozeur, you will visit all the filming locations of Star Wars!
You will visit the Ksours which served as slave quarters, the House of Ben and that of Lars, you will discover the Igloo in full salt lake and the village Mos Espa considered as the largest Star Wars site in Tunisia
About the 5-day star wars tour :
- Duration : 5 days
- Departure time : 8h30 am
- Support : All of Tunisia (our team picks you up where you are)
- Confirmation : immediate
- Guide : Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport : Air-conditioned vehicle
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation: free up to 7 days before the date of the excursion
During this 5-day star wars tour tunisia
- Take advantage of your address pick-up where you are in Tunisia.
- Discover a large part of southern Tunisia.
- Enjoy a hike between the Ksours of Beni Khadech, off the beaten track.
- Hike in the Berber villages of Chenini, Douiret and Toujane.
- Cross the large sand dunes in the footsteps of dromedaries.
- Spend a night in a tent in the middle of the desert (wild bivouac).
- Come and meet nature and immerse yourself in local life.
- Follow local guides and admire Tunisian nature off the beaten track.
- Possibility to personalize the circuit according to your desires
Day 1: Mos Eisely and Ben’s house :
The 5-day star wars tour in Tunisia will start in the island of Djerba and the visits will be as following :
Ajim (Mos Eisley – Episode IV)
– Control by stormtroopers: Control of Ben and Luke by stormtroopers (“These are not the droids you are looking for.”); the place is very difficult to recognize, due to the modification of the decorations at the time by the film crew
– </emLa Cantina de Chalmun: As above, the place is difficult to recognize, especially since the building (an old traditional Berber bakery) is in a state of disrepair more or less advanced. In addition, he is (was?) Also threatened with disappearance to build modern buildings, which had also given rise to an international movement to save it.
– The flight of the Millennium Falcon under the beard of stormtroopers: The driveway is a few streets south of the “stormtrooper checkpoint” and is quite difficult to find, but on the other hand more easily recognizable.
Ajim (Ben’s House – Episode IV)
3 km north of Ajim, on the coastal road leading to Sidi Jemour, is the old fisherman’s house which was used to film, in April 1976, the house of Ben Kenobi during his exile on Tatooine. It has become a high place of “pilgrimage”, and is therefore regularly maintained.
Note that since the Special Edition of the Trilogy in 1997, the original house has been replaced in the film by a shot of a miniature and a digital painting, radically changing its appearance.
Sidi Jemour (Anchorhead, Mos Eisley – Episode IV)
About a dozen kilometers north of Ajim, still by the coastal road, is the marabout (= dome tomb) of Sidi Jemour (or Sidi Jmour). Also considered a mosque, it is a popular place of religious pilgrimage.
2 scenes from Episode IV were filmed there in April 1976 :
A cut scene outside Anchorhead: This cut scene actually consists of 2: that of Toshi station, and that between Luke and Biggs
The arrival scene of Luke and Ben in speeder at Mos Eisley: Note that this scene, like many of Mos Eisley, has undergone many changes over the evolutions of the Trilogy.
Departure to Douiret and overnight in a gîte
Day 2: The planet Tatooine :
After breakfast, head to the city of Tataouine, from where George Lucas got the name Tatooine, but where no Star Wars scene has been filmed specifically.
The first visit will be to the famous Ksar Hadada: Like two other ksour located around Tataouine (Ksar Medenine and Ksar Ouled Soltane), it was used to film, on August 10, 1997, the decorations of Mos Espa, in this case the slave quarters, in Episode I (scene where Qui-Gon contacts Obi-Wan by comlink, and scene with Shmi “He has no father …”).
Then, head to the Berber village of Chenini to enjoy a hike with a local guide.
Enjoy a good typical midday meal in a local restaurant then head to the second Ksar, called Ouled Soltane:
The Ksar Ouled Soltane is located southeast of Tataouine, and is one of the best preserved, renovated and most visited ksour in Tunisia. It is a mountain ksar, which has 2 separate courtyards, and has more than 400 ghorfas (storage cells), on 4 or 5 levels.
It served, like the other 2 ksour above, as a backdrop for Mos Espa in Episode I, in August 1997, for the slave quarters.
Head to Matmata where you will spend the night in a hotel where scenes from Star Wars have been filmed
Day 3: Star Wars between Matmata and Tozeur
During this day you will visit :
The Sidi Idriss hotel :
which includes 5 interior courtyards: 4 of them being surrounded by bedrooms, and the fifth, called “Star Wars courtyard”, constituting the restaurant. It was this which served as the decor for the Lars’ dining room and kitchen, as well as the courtyard.
The Sidi Bouhlel Canyon :
– Indiana Jones and the Adventurers of the Lost Ark (1981)
– The English Patient (1996)
On the way to Tozeur and just after Chott Djerid, is the village of Dakas, and just 2 km northeast of this village, we find the Marabout of Sidi Bouhlel, this one being located at the southern end of “Star Wars Canyon”, where several scenes were mainly shot from Episode IV for the Jundland Desert (filming in March 1976), as well as some passages from the pod race of Episode I.
Here are some scenes from the episode filmed in this canyon :
Episode IV: Jundland Desert
R2-D2 is captured by the Jawas
Luke and C-3PO find R2-D2, and are attacked by the Tuskens, then rescued by Ben
Luke and Ben discover the sandcrawler and the Jawas massacred by the Imperialists
Luke and Ben watch Mos Eisley in the distance
Episode I :
Tuskens shoot pod contestants
Annex: Indiana Jones the Adventurers of the Lost Ark: all the scenes of the film supposed to be located in Egypt having in fact been filmed in Tunisia (for example: Cairo was filmed in Kairouan, and Tanis a short distance from the canyon) , it is the same for the scene where Indy threatens Belloq to blow up the Ark, filmed in the Star Wars Canyon.
Dinner and overnight in a 4 * hotel
y 4: Lars farm and Mos Espa village
During this day we will visit various locations for filming Star Wars in Tunisia
The first visit will be the Lars Farm Igloo :
The igloo :
This is undoubtedly the main element of the decor: it simulates the entrance to the surface of the Lars’ farm, and has almost become a symbol of Star Wars, and in any case of Tatooine. It was originally built in 1976, then rebuilt in 2000, in the same place. It is only a “hollow” decoration: there is nothing inside and it leads nowhere.
Right around, there were other decorations that have completely disappeared over time and we can mention :
Hydroponic gardens : Located behind the igloo, there is not much left, except the outline, and some pieces that formed the “roof”.
The craters : IThere are 3: a large one, a small one (the closest to the hydroponic gardens), and a third which has completely disappeared. They represented the interior courtyards of the Lars’ farm (courtyards filmed elsewhere, see Matmata), the largest of which is that which Luke leans over when his aunt calls him, and on the edge of which he admires the twin suns. Today only the contours remain.
Evaporators : Nothing remains today, except their footprints where they were located.
The tombs, including that of Shmi : They are located about 150 meters north of the igloo, and only the footprints remain.
Great Dune (Sea of Sands – Episode IV)
Further north of the igloo, and north of the Algeria -> Nefta road, where the Sahara begins, there is an imposing dune, the “Grande Dune”, where were filmed :
– The scene of the crash of the capsule of R2-D2 and C-3PO, in Tatooine’s “Sea of Sands”, in Episode IV
– The scene where C-3PO passes in front of a Krayt dragon skeleton
-The scene where the stormtroopers find the capsule there (scene which was then stretched out with shots in the Yuma desert)
Mos Espa (Episode I and II):
Mos Espa, the most easily visible site, and certainly the most attractive, is the reconstruction, in the middle of the desert, of buildings, which create an entire district of Mos Espa. The sets were created by Lucas film for the shooting of Episode I, in July 1997 (notably the wanderings of Qui-Gon and his troop in the streets and on the market of Mos Espa), and reused for Episode II (Ani’s visit to Watoo). And at the request of the Tunisian tourist office, they were left as is for tourism purposes. A road easily leads there from Nefta.
Yardang Field (Episode I):
In the immediate vicinity of the above decorations, is the “Yardang Field”, literally “field of yardangs”, a yardang being a rocky crest created by the erosion of the wind in desert environments.
This is where the landing of Queen Amidala’s ship on Tatooine was filmed in Episode I, as well as all of the scenes around the ship (including the Maul / Qui-Gon duel).
Oung Jmel / Camel Rock (Episode I):
2 or 3 km north-east of the higher settings, is a rock famous in Tunisia, for its shape giving the illusion of the silhouette of a camel (“Oung Jmel” translating roughly into “neck of the camel”).
Episode I stopped over there to locate Darth Maul’s landing site on Tatooine across the street, and a short podrace run also passed just in front of the rock.
Overnight at Ksar Rouge hotel or similar
Day 5 : Back to Djerba :
Return to Djerba and end of our services
Price details :
The prices below correspond to the proposal in the circuit. This rate may change depending on our email exchanges and the modifications you wish to make to the program. We are there to personalize the circuits according to your desires !
This price includes
- Reception at the airport on the day of arrival and transfer to the hotel
- The night in a 4 * hotel with half board the 1st night
- The provision of an air-conditioned vehicle for 5 days
- 1 night at the Douiret gîte with half board
- 1 night at the Sidi Idriss cave hotel with half board
- 2 nights in a 4 * hotel in Tozeur with half board
- Hotel / Airport transfer on departure day
- The services of a driver approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office for 3 days
- The services of an approved guide during the entire tour
- Local guide services for hikes
- Lunch during the whole tour (excluding drinks)
- Entrance fees to Star Wars sites
- Our services and assistance 24h / 24h
- Entrance fees to Star Wars sites during the tour
The price doesn't include
- Drinks and personal expenses
- Activities booked on site