2 days Hike in the canyons
The 2 days hike in the canyons is a unique experience to discover a large part of southern Tunisia. During this excursion you will visit Tozeur the cities of palm groves, you will cross the Djerid chott, considered as the largest salt lake in the North of Africa and you will explore the mountain oases! You will stroll to Chebika to admire its oasis and its waterfall which gushes from the side of the mountain then you will discover the Tamerza waterfall and the big canyons of Midès. You will cross the old Dakar Rally track and you will discover the Mos Espa village of Star Wars! You will have the possibility of strolling on the back of a dromedary in the middle of the desert in Douz and you will visit a troglodyte house homestay in Matmata !
About Tozeur and the mountain oases trip :
- Duration : 2 days
- Departure time : 6:00 am
- Support : Island of Djerba and Zarzis (our team picks you up wherever you are)
- Confirmation : immediate
- Guide : Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport : air-conditioned vehicle
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation: free up to 48 hours before the date of the excursion
- Take advantage of your address pickup in Djerba or Zarzis
- Enjoy a trip to tozeur and the mountains oases
- Visit a troglodyte house with locals in Matmata
- Take a ride on a camel or quad in the Douz desert.
- Cross Chott Djerid, the largest salt lake in the north of Africa.
- Visit the palm groves of Tozeur and discover its old medina.
- Hike the Berber village of Chebika and admire its waterfall.
- Discover the great waterfall of Tamerza
- Hike in the great canyons of Mides
- Enjoy a good tea and admire the basket of Nefta
- Visit a cave house
- Enjoy a panoramic view overlooking the Berber village of Toujane
Day 1 :
In the morning, our team will pick you up at your accommodation to take you on an excursion to discover Tozeur and its mountain oases. You leave the island via the ferry.
A first stop in a cafe will be intended for the explanation of the program by your guide then you will continue towards the berber village of Chebika where you will meet your local guide.
There the first hike will Start ! Discover the old village, stroll in the oases and admire the water spring, then head through the mountain to Tamerza (4 hours hike).
By lunch time, you will take the time to enjoy a picnic : salade – barbecue – dessert.
When you arrive to Tamerza, your driver will be waiting to drive you to yout hotel.
Free time to reste before dinner
Overnight in a 4* hotel
Day 2 :
After breakfast, head to Mides and take the time to enjoy a hike in its great canyons (2 hours).
Then, Drive to Chott El Djerid (greatest salt lake in northern Africa).
Continue to Douz, the desert’s gate and enjoy a camel ride or a quad bike (extra).
Enjoy lunch in a local restaurant then head to Matmata.
Visit a troglodyte house and meet a berber family to discover the way they live underground !
The last stop of the day will be in the berber village of Toujane.
Head back to Djerba
Good to know :
- Remember to bring your sunscreen, sunglasses, swimsuit and towel.
- It’s best to wear hike shoes
- Tunisian cuisine is quite spicy, if you don’t eat spicy please let us know.
- If you have food allergies please let us know
- The camel ride in the dunes lasts 1 hour and costs around 10 euros per person
- The quad ride lasts around 40 minutes and costs around 30 euros per person.
- Do not hesitate to take pocket money if you want to buy some souvenirs (sand roses, a cheche or others) or give tips
- Don’t hesitate to tip the family you visit in Matmata
- The price of drinks on site and around 3 dinars a drink (about 1 euro)
The price includesMinimum of 4 persons
- Provision of a private vehicle for 2 days
- + The services of a guide approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office for 2 days
- The services of a driver approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office for 2 days
- The services of a local guide for the hike
- + Lunch on the 1st and 2nd day
- Accommodation in a 4 * hotel in Tozeur
- + Our assistance during the excursion
- – Drinks and personal expenses
- -Optional walks carried out on site
- – Tips